Netflix Book Tag

Sunday, June 25, 2017

I found this book tag over at Pretty Deadly Reviews. :)



I love books and I love Netflix, even though it can severely derail how much reading I get done.

Jessie: Tyrant's Throne by Sebastien de Castell - the final book in the Greatcoats series (Traitor's Blade, Knight's Shadow, Saint's Blood) ..... [for now]. This is basically a fantasy version of The Three Musketeers with more fatalism and better one-liners. It's Dumas with magic and way more blood. It's awesome.


Dani: Y'all.

Y'all.

Don't judge me.




Dani: If you like Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdoms, try other fantasy heists, The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Spirit Thief. Not technically YA, but both have great senses of humor, big twists, and a crew of friends who'll make you cry.


Jessie: If you loved Fangirl and Gena/Finn for their, well, fandoms and general nerdery, you should read Queens of Geek, Geekerella, and Eliza and her Monsters.

Jessie: Ha, well, I bought SEVERAL books because I have exactly zero chill and why buy ONE when you can buy six??


Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn (Elemental Blessings #1)
Royal Airs by Sharon Shinn (Elemental Blessings #2)
The Dragon's Legacy by Deborah A. Wolfe (The Dragon's Legacy #1)
Made You Up by Francesca Zappia
Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries by Kory Stamper
Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe by Sarah Gristwood


Dani: I'm really in an indie/ f/f mood, so the last three books I've bought are Knit One, Girl Two by Shira Glassman, Elements: Fire ed. Taneka Stotts, and Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology ed  Joamette Gil


Dani: My loves, if I'm brutally, brutally honest, I didn't like Simon Vs. the Homosapiens Agenda. It lost me early on with a thoughtless piece of lesbophobia, I didn't like that the only two girls who matter hate each other, and the entire plot hinges on outing. Simon and Blue are sweet, I completely get the hype, it's just not for me.



Jessie: Okay, so I will split this right down the middle. The Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown. It's.. decent. It's okay. There's some good ideas at play. But it is so vaaastly overhyped, especially the first two books. And if it takes three books for your trilogy to meet the hype....


Jessie: The Rook by Daniel O'Malley is first in a series and basically a supernatural MI5 with absolutely absurd dangerous occurrences. It's very dryly funny, occasionally snarky and quite  acerbic. If you enjoy British humor, this is one sure to amuse.


Dani: I'm going to pick Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series, especially Do You Want to Start a Scandal. I love Tessa's heroines and the way they interact with their love interests and society. It's claptrap and no Victorian lady could ever get away with acting like Minerva or Pauline, but it's funny and swoony and I love them. (I know the covers do not indicate this one bit, just trust me.)



Dani: The His Fair Assassin trilogy is looooooaded with court politics, religious politics, supernatural politics, real world politics. 1433 pages of politics and stabbing. And kissing. A++ (And we're getting two more books?! I am not worthy.)


Jessie: I love a good political maneuver. Historical fiction is usually the best at pulling it off (they do have real history to lend aid) but sometimes fantasy novels can be just as complicated. Sally Christie's historical series about the maaany mistresses of France's King Louis XV (The Sisters of Versailles, The Rivals of Versailles, and The Enemies of Versailles) definitely has some of the most fine-tuned court politicking.

Jessie: Illustrated covers tend to be my favorites. So I couldn't pick just one.




Dani: For my money, Elise Kova has the best illustrated covers in the game right now. Every single one a masterpiece with phenomenal color choices and gorgeous characters. Where is my box set?


Dani: I say this every time this question comes up: Illuminae and Gemina. I fucking love this series. They are beyond compare in both physical and audio. Every read brings another twist to the story (and another one of my friends I find dead in the casualty reports.)


Jessie: I love to reread! I love to search hints and clues and hidden easter eggs. I think A Song of Ice and Fire grew this habit but I believe it really started with the Wheel of Time. I've done more rereading in 2017 already than I did in all of 2016!

Next up on the reread agenda:



Grave Mercy, Dark Triumph, and Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

and then...

The Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams, The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight, and A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson for the last three.)


Jessie: I have found some really good nonfiction over the last year or so. There's Princesses Behaving Badly by Linda Rodriguez McRobbie, the irreverent and illustrated Rejected Princesses from Jason Porath, Mary Beard's extensive opus SPQR, and Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries that really stand out.


Dani; It's a little older, but I'm obsessed with the literary criticism of Sarah Wendell and Candy Tam's Beyond Heaving Bosoms. It's funny and irreverent, but it's also a great take down of the way we look at romance and genre fiction and misogyny in the publishing industry.


Dani: It's my favorite book, guys.



Jessie: Skullsworn by Brian Staveley fits this very well. It's set in the world of his fantasy series but it's a 305-pages standalone that takes place over a period of just about two weeks. In that two weeks, an imperial rebellion grows from nascent to full-blown as the main character tries to assassinate 10 people in 10 days.


Jessie: Umm.. there is a lot but I will narrow it down. Godsgrave, The Tiger's Daughter for sure. There's also For the Winner by Emily Hauser (Atalanta!), The Waking Land by Callie Bates, and Now I Rise by Kiersten White.


Dani: I really love books.

Dani: hahahahahaha ha

ha

ha

also, fuck you


Jessie: I plead the fifth.



For reasons.



Feel free to tag yourself if you would like!



&

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright © 2015 Ageless Pages Reviews. All Rights Reserved.

Amelia Theme by The Lovely Design CO and These Paper Hearts.